In 1957 Camp Koinonia was developed as a summertime, youth retreat. The camp which was originally an Indian meeting place. By 1964 Camp grew to include four cabins, each accommodating six people; a picnic area; a main lodge, including dining room, kitchen, recreation hall, and office; 4 additional cabins accommodating nine persons each; a chapel; swimming pool with shower houses; an infirmary; a camping area for tents; a shower house for the camping area; a craft lodge and store.
Through 1974 it was operated as a youth camp by the Evangelical United Brethren Church, Western New York Conference. Beginning in 1978 it was leased by various other organizations for summertime family camp retreats, youth leadership institutes and summer recreation camps.
In the early 1980's, camp was offered for sale to a group of families that were committed to the philosophy that a strong family structure is essential to the moral and spiritual future of our society. These families have made significant financial and personal sacrifices to purchase and maintain this property. On March 6, 1984, the property was purchased by this group.
The group formed, organized and incorporated into Camp Koinonia, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of New York. Led by Father Dave Mura, this idea of a week-long retreat for families began to grow and continues to be a source of spiritual renewal.
The current board of directors is made up of a group of individuals dedicated to maintaining the vision and mission of the founding camp families.