Fr. Dave Mura
Born on November 25, 1944, to Herbert and Helen Mura, David W. Mura was destined to touch many lives in his 50 years on this earth.
Ordained on May 29, 1971, at Holy Trinity Church, Webster, Father Dave Mura celebrated his first Mass as a Roman Catholic Priest at Saint Lawrence Church, his home parish in Greece, NY. He was the first priest to be ordained out of Saint Lawrence. A year later, he celebrated his first ordination anniversary Mass in the Catacombs under Saint Peter Basilica in Rome, Italy. Great days for a great man who inspired so many.
In the late 1970's, Father Dave was leading a Family Camp program at Camp Stella Maris which was moved in the 1980's to Camp Koinonia. Under his stewardship, the camp began its current mission of providing a camp environment for family and personal renewal. Camp Koinonia was a labor of love for Father Dave, and he had many dreams and visions for this holy ground. He worked hard to foster the growth of these dreams to glorify God's name.
On May 2, 1995, God called his faithful servant David home. Father Dave's friends and family, including his beloved brother Stephen and sister Kathleen, miss him to this day. Although he was unable to see all of his dreams for Camp Koinonia come true while he was on this earth, we believe he is smiling down from heaven as Camp Koinonia continues this mission.
Father Dave's dreams were carried on thanks in large part to the leadership efforts of Rich and Sue Versluys, Deacon Andy and Helen Cohen, and Father Joe Marcoux. "And the dance goes on" today with the help of Gary and Carol Stevens, Deacon John and Belinda Brasley, Father Joe Marcoux, Father Tim Niven, Father John Loncle, our blessed angels from Grand Island and all those who hold a special place in their hearts and prayers for Camp Koinonia.
"The Dance Goes On"
Thank you Father Dave, we hope you are proud of all the lives that Camp Koinonia continues to touch.
Our All Volunteer
Board of Directors
& Committee Chairs
Family, Faith & Fun for Generations to Come
In 1957, Camp Koinonia was developed as a summer youth camp. By 1964, Camp Koinonia included four sleeping cabins, each accommodating 12 people; a picnic pavilion; a main lodge, including dining room, kitchen, recreation hall, and office; four additional cabins, each accommodating 8 people; a chapel; a swimming pool with shower houses; an infirmary; a camping area for tents and campers; a shower house for the camping area; a craft lodge and a camp store.
Through 1974, Camp Koinonia was operated as a summer youth camp by the Evangelical United Brethren Church, Western New York Conference. Beginning in 1978, it was leased by various other organizations for summer family camp retreats, youth leadership institutes and summer recreation camps.
In the early 1980's, Camp Koinonia was offered for sale to a group of families who were committed to the philosophy that a strong family structure is essential to the moral and spiritual future of our society. These families have made significant financial and personal sacrifices to purchase and maintain this property. On March 6, 1984, the property was purchased by this group.
The group formed, organized and incorporated into Camp Koinonia, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of New York. Led by Father Dave Mura, this idea of a week-long retreat for families began to grow and continues to be a source of spiritual renewal.
The current board of directors is made up of a group of individuals dedicated to maintaining the vision and mission of the founding camp families.